Tuesday, January 2, 2018

The best Zoo in the World?

Is Australia Zoo the best in the World?  I think it may be!


We have been to a number of zoos in Australia and around the world but today's visit to Australia Zoo at Beerwah tops the lot!  Impressive!


Most zoos make me sad as I feel sorry for the animals being kept in captivity.  However, I did not feel this way at all after our visit to Australia Zoo today!  Instead I could see that there is a genuine passion and care for all the animals at this education and conservation facility.  Yes. I came away feeling that this is not just a zoo but a conservation and education facility, to ensure that we learn more about these beautiful animals and to make sure that they will be around for future generations also.




Everywhere that we went, the staff were interactive, helpful and friendly.  The zoo is huge, impeccably neat & clean, very well laid out with lots to see and do.  We didn't get through the entire park in the 6 hours that we were there, so have upgraded to an annual membership so that we can go back again (and will save 10% on any purchases). It was very busy and very hot today, so our next visit will be in a cooler month, when it is not school holidays!



My top tips would be:

  • Be prepared; Download the app and have a plan.  Be aware of the shows and activities and plan your time around them.
  • Wear comfortable shoes and clothing.  
  • Take a water bottle and camera as you will need them both (a lot).
  • Get there early (opens at 9am) and intend to spend the whole day there (until 5pm).
  • Attend the shows!  Especially the Wildlife Warriors show.  Fantastic!
  • Take the shuttle train to "Africa" at the back of the park and then make your way back to the entrance/exit on foot visiting each of the enclosures and areas
  • Be aware that every credit card transaction incurs a fee so use cash to reduce the costs.

A Great Legacy to Steve Irwin & Australia.  Well Done & Thank you to everyone involved.  








2 comments:

  1. Against my anti-Irwin prejudices, I was also impressed by Aussie Zoo though I really disliked the crocodile show. Some clown will try to emulate them in the wild and get eaten. I loved the Africa area though. Overall I’d say Dubbo is as good but this one is closer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. My brother is so angry about them encouraging crocodiles to jump in NT as now they are more likely to jump at fishermen than previously! Next time we head south, we will go the inland route and go to the Dubbo zoo! Thanks for the tip.

      Delete